Introductory Letter

Dear Professor Brad Franklin Blackstone,

My name is Galven Yeo and I am writing this letter to formally introduce myself. An interesting fact about myself is that I enjoy being active. I regularly go to the gym and participate in various sporting activities such as basketball and frisbee recreationally. I am someone who enjoys trying new activities and challenging myself. I strongly believe that it is one of the best ways to learn new skills. gain new knowledge and to improve oneself.

I graduated from Temasek Polytechnic back in 2020 with a Diploma in Mechatronics, specializing in automation. Over the course of 3 years, I honed various engineering skills from 3 fields; mechanical, electrical and robotics. Since young, I have always had great interest in engineering. I was always fascinated by the buildings around me and how devices such as our phones came about. My interest grew exponentially with the advancement of technology and more innovative structures like Marina Bay Sands came about.

Attending modules similar to this module back in my polytechnic days made me realize my shortcomings when it came to addressing a room. I would always get nervous before presenting, which resulted in me forgetting my content. There was once where I ended a presentation without presenting my concluding slide, which resulted in marks to be deducted. However, when writing an email, I am able to get my point across effectively. Through my internship and national service, I was able to refine this skill when communicating with the superiors regularly through emails.

For this module I hope to improve on my presentation skills and overcome my stage fright as it is a critical skill to possess. This would enable me to present confidently and impress my peers. Another thing I wish to achieve in this module would be to communicate more effectively with others in a professional setting. In my opinion, the commercial world, compared to my national service days, would encompass a more complex communication skill. Where in National Service we were only thought how to say yes sir or no sir , in contrast to the commercial world where we would have to maintain interpersonal relationships and more freedom to speak our mind. Hence, it is imperative that we have excellent communication skill.

Regards,

Galven Yeo


Edited : 17/1/23

Commented on:

Jonathan Joyonegoro Chuan Zhi

Timothy Sim Shao En

Matiin

Moong Yen Jee

Comments

  1. Hi Galven, thank you for sharing and I hope that your presentation skills will improve through this module.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A generally good intro of yourself. Now I know what your interests are and it's somewhat similar to mine. Weakness and strength are also laid down and maybe we can help each other out in improving our weaknesses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Galven,

    Thank you for this detailed letter. I appreciate learning about your various interest, for example, in sports such as basketball. I wonder though if your participation is simply recreational or if you play organized sports. I also appreciate you sharing on your comm skills experiences.

    One point, however, baffles me a bit: In my opinion, the commercial world, compared to my national service days, would encompass a more complex communication skill.

    I'm not sure what this means. Perhaps you could explain.

    I look forward to learning more about you this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback prof ! I have amended the letter and added the relevant information

      Delete
  4. Hi Galven, thank you for sharing more about yourself! Your letter was clear and concise! I do hope that you will overcome your weakness in presentation so that you can grab all the marks! I look forward to learning more about you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Galven, thank you for sharing about yourself. I find that your letter is very straightforward and clear in letting me understand more about your life principles, strengths and weaknesses. Look forward to learning more about you in future lessons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback ! Hope to learn more about you too !

      Delete
  6. Hi Galven, good to know more about you while reading through your introduction letter. your introduction is well written with details and example, it enable reader to have better understanding of yourself. paragraphing is well done, it allows the reader to focus on different points brought across by you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summary Reader Response Draft 4

Task 3: The Importance of communication skills for engineers